Friday, June 4, 2010

Hate to say "I told you so..."

No, that's not true. I TOLD YOU SO!

As I've been watching the horrific images coming out of the gulf, I've maintained a strong suspicion that BP has been deliberately keeping independent groups out of the spill area not for safety, but to prevent the American public from seeing just how horrible the oilcano is. I also thought they were attempting to give mother nature time to wash and rot away the piling corpses of wildlife in an attempt to avoid the fines. My complaints have fallen on deaf ears. So here I sit, trained and ready to respond. And sit. And sit.

Now I know why. The NY Daily News lucked upon a lone whistle blower. The first of many to come, I'm sure. The article is called Dying, dead marine wildlife paint dark, morbid picture of Gulf Coast following oil spill. Enjoy. 

From the media and various responding organizations, there are two responses I've gotten as I've offered (begged is more like it) to help.

  1. Thank you so much for your offer to help during this crisis. We have been so overwhelmed by the response that we have not yet gotten to everyone, but we assure you we will contact you as soon as possible.  How long does it take for you to contact me, considering that I contacted all of you, from BP/Deepwater Horizon Response to local organizations, the day the lines went up? Shouldn't my number be somewhere towards the top of that list? Or if you go alphabetically, have you not gotten to the "C's" yet? Did you really have millions upon millions respond in that one day? Not to mention the fact that I did not register for general clean up because it is my understanding that locals are being hired first (and rightfully so), rather, I signed up for a very specialized area of work that I seriously doubt you had such an overwhelming response on day one. Or did you? If so, WHY ARE THEY NOT THERE YET???
  2. Thank you for your concern in protecting wildlife. Currently we have all the volunteers we need, as not many animals have yet been affected. As soon as they are, we will contact you. This is unfortunately not all that untrue. Most of the animals affected by the spill die before ever reaching land, their bodies sinking below the surface. Others, such as the ones depicted in this now infamous series of photos, have almost no chance of survival. If you look closely on those photos you will see the nares (nostrils) of all of those birds was occluded by oil. In other words, they were suffocating even as those photos were taken. But then again, perhaps more wildlife would be brought to the centers in time if they were captured earlier. That begs the question why are there not teams of wildlife professionals combing the area 24-7? There are plenty of us just waiting to do that. Have crates, will travel. WHY ARE THEY NOT THERE YET?
I know that the responding organizations are doing their level best given the information they are getting from BP. I know they are following ICS protocols, and that there is a very real need for an organized response. These things I realize. But in light of the article and word from boots on the ground, is it really wise for us to continue to allow the company behind this disaster (and culpable for it) to be in charge of the response? REALLY??? Certainly they need to be involved in getting this thing shut down, because frankly no one else has the tech to do it. For that matter, they might not either. But they are our last best hope.

Not so for the people and animals and habitat already being affected by the disaster. BP shouldn't even be allowed to step foot on our shores, let alone be in charge of the cover up...uh...I mean clean up efforts. We should take control of this area of the disaster and send BP a bill. Otherwise more will die as BP continues to obfuscate and cover up, hoping the very sea they have destroyed will wash the evidence (bodies) back out to into the depths so that they can avoid the further deterioration of their ruined corporate image and ameliorate the fines they are soon going to pay. This has gone beyond greed, beyond incompetence, beyond disaster.

This is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment