Friday, July 30, 2010

What a difference a few weeks make

I realize it's been awhile yet again since I updated the blog. The truth of the matter is, I was in a self-imposed news blackout for my own sanity's sake. Rather than focus on the continued success of BP's efforts to cut their losses through stonewalling, obfuscations and destruction of evidence, I decided to give up my attempt to volunteer and instead concentrate on my own little corner of the world at Cluck n Neigh Farm. At least here is a small corner in the world where my efforts can and do make a difference in the lives of the animals I work with and the families I feed.

To be honest, I never expected to even have a cause or chance to even continue the blog. I assumed my attempts to be involved in the oiltastrophe would prove to be a complete dead end and hence I would have nothing of merit to add to the discussion. However, with a few reality TV episodes and a little creative thinking, things may have turned around a bit for the kid.

Recently my husband and I were watching our only reality show indulgence known as Whale Wars. It features an organization known as the Sea Shepherds, who fight bravely (albeit often recklessly) against the Japanese whaling fleet who brutally kill ridiculously large numbers of whales of varying species in the name of "research." The Sea Shepherds contend that the number of kills (including highly endangered species) and the fact that the very same whale meat "somehow" ends up on sushi tables at prices that would make Donald Trump hesitate to sample is proof that this is activity goes far beyond "research." I agree with their contention, and though I often find myself wincing at some of their more foolhardy moves I support them wholeheartedly in their willingness to do whatever it takes to raise awareness to this continuing assault upon one of our planet's most revered and vulnerable animals. It is this awareness that I believe will finally put an end to commercial (oh...right...research) whaling.

While we were watching footage of the Ady Gil being rammed and destroyed by the Japanese vessel Sonan Maru 2,  Michael was doing some web browsing for the latest updates from the Sea Shepherds. He discovered Operation Gulf Rescue, the newest campaign of the group. Being the incredibly supportive hubby he is, Michael said "You should go, Claire."

Within a few minutes I had made up my mind and started the process. Since then I've been in contact with the fine folks involved in the crew recruitment process, and was almost immediately encouraged by the response. In the most recent email I was informed that my inquiry email had been passed up to the CEO of the organization, and was asked if I'd possibly be available to set out within two weeks. I am extremely encouraged by that. All that remains is for them to get my "official" paperwork that I'm overnighting tomorrow and hope for the final approval. So, keep your fingers crossed for me! I think in the long run this organization is a much better fit for me anyway, and vice versa. Obviously going through the "proper" channels resulted in no progress whatsoever, so if I really do want to get involved it's time to stop being so timid and get involved. I hope to have another update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment