Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Backgrounds and intros

On April 20th, 2010 the nation watched in horror as an oil drilling platform almost sixty miles off of the southwest coast of Louisiana erupted into flames and fell into the sea with agonizing slowness. Eleven workers were killed in the massive explosion and subsequent inferno.

And then there was the bad news. By April 24 we learned that initial reports that no oil was leaking had been incorrect. To the tune of 5,000 barrels spewing forth in what is currently an uncontrolled oilcano nearly a mile under the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, making it extremely difficult for BP to remedy the situation. As of this entry, all efforts to stop the oilruption have failed. We may be staring down the barrel(s) of the worst man-made environmental disaster in our nation's history, possibly that of the entire planet.

Before I became Chief Chickenthusiast of Cluck-n-Neigh Farm,  I had plans of becoming a Wildlife Biologist. To quote an old joke I heard retold by John Cleese recently, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Once I graduated from the University of Tennessee with my BS in Wildlife and Fisheries Science life threw a few curve balls my way, ending my visions of field work, research and possibly a higher degree.

Not that my life hasn't turned out for the best, mind you. Just different than I'd imagined. I was quite content to embark on the great homesteading and sustainable living adventure and to raise my chickens to be happy healthy sources of pastured eggs for those in my community who might otherwise not be able to afford such "luxury."

But the drive to "do something" in the face of tragedy is a trait that has been with me for my entire life, and I often fretted that I never had the training or skills necessary to make a difference whenever disaster struck. So when I learned of the situation in the gulf, it hit me on so many levels. As a Biologist, an environmentalist, and a Buddhist. I could not let it go. Here was a situation that I did have the knowledge and skills necessary to be of service, and all I was doing was watching the news reports and crying. After many days of obsessing about the situation and my feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, I decided it was time to put my money where my mouth is and step up. Certainly my education and skills developed over three decades of working with animals across the taxonomic spectrum could count for something!

After much annoyance it appears my tenacity has paid off. I have been accepted for training in Oiled Wildlife Response, and once my additional required 6 hour BP Module 3 oil spill response training is completed I will be able to volunteer in the Gulf region should the need arise (and I'm certain it will). When news of the decision came, I thought I would start a blog so that I could share with you my experiences. I will do what I can to document this story with video journals, photos and blogs that will offer you a closer look at the situation from "on the ground." I am no journalist, however. I don't write well, I am highly opinionated, and very emotional. So reader beware.

This post is still a work in progress. I am currently balancing my blogging with studying for my prerequisite classes in ICS (Incident Command System) for the training I will be receiving in a few days. More to come, I promise.

Continued:
Well who would have thought I'd pass a test after all these years. I have gotten FEMA ICS-100 out of the way, my first step to satisfying the requirements. Two more classes to go before I head to Mobile for my first unit of live training. So for the next 24 hours I will be cramming, testing and getting the farm situated for a short absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment