Thursday, May 13, 2010

So it begins

These last few days have been frantic. I received an email from BP/Horizon Oil Response informing me that I was to report for training as soon as possible for Modules 1-2. I was hoping to get registered for Module 3 as well, which is more in-depth and involves wildlife specifically. But I was happy to get what I could, and registered.

Not ten minutes after I put in my requests for dates/locations for the classes, I received another email from Deepwater Horizon Response informing me that due to the "changing nature" of this event, Modules 1-2 were no longer considered acceptable for working on this incident. In order to be cleared to work, all participants must now complete BP/Horizon Oil Response Training Module 3. I suppose that is both good and bad news. It means I will get the training I need for the job I'm most qualified for, but could it also mean that the incident is growing in complexity at a rate they are having problems dealing with? I am far from an expert, but judging from today's Situation Status Map, and the important ecosystems and refuges in the line of fire, it appears to me that oiled wildlife response is likely to be a very large component of this operation. Personally I would have thought BP would have had this covered as they assured authorities they knew exactly where oil was most likely to go if released into the gulf from one of their rigs when they applied for rights to drill. I would have assumed a plan for just such an event would have been a requirement for any company wishing to take on such a risky venture. But of course, that's just me. I forget that we were assured that offshore drilling is completely safe. 

So...what about all those Modules 1-2 classes held over the last two weeks, and the people who went through those but were not allowed to have Module 3? Was that a waste of their time and BP's money? Money that would be better spent on the recovery/cleanup/mitigation of damages phase of this disaster? Only time will tell.

Once again struck by the increasingly obvious necessity for preparation and training before an event happens, I got back online to see what other prerequisite trainings could be beneficial. I found three courses offered by FEMA that give an introduction to ICS (Incident Command System) and NIMS (National Incident Management System). The courses were offered free from FEMA online, so there was really no excuse not to take them. For anyone who may be interested in volunteering for any sort of disaster, these courses would be most beneficial. The courses I took were ICS 100, ICS 200, and ICS 700. While the information within these classes is by no means exhaustive or a substitute for experience, it's a start.

Now it's time for me to hit the road to Waveland MS for my first day of training. I will take the laptop with me of course, and try to update you afterward. That is, if I can find a network. Being technologically challenged, that's an iffy proposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment